The Theory of Hard Work

Do you know about it? Really? How much do you know about it? Nah, I'm not trying to sound so righteous or superior, in fact I know that I'm neither. Why the sudden post and interest in hard work? Here's why.

Let's just say that I'm currently a college student majoring in engineering. And if you've read my previous posts, you will understand that I don't really belong there. I'm not stating that I don't enjoy it. I do enjoy learning, I do sometimes enjoy the complexity of trying to solve something, the rush of adrenaline when I figured out a mathematical problem, the excitement of knowing something new, and... well let's stop here before I went overboard, you get the idea.

I worked hard to put it together you know... with help from a friend

Let me share a little something. Back when I was younger, as in middle school and high school, I was in a good (one of the best in my city, perhaps?) private school. That being said, everyone was pretty much an overachiever. They've all done stuff and accomplished things that will make you jealous. Me? Nah, I was counted as quite mundane back then. I really admired my friends, their views of life, and the things that they've done.  I've always felt that I could never be like that, that's not the way I was raised by my parents, I didn't have a passion that I loved so much that I would like to pursue, and more excuses alike. 

Only lately that I've realized that those excuses took me nowhere. And those friends didn't get what they have just by flipping the back of their hands. They worked, and I know that they worked hard to achieve it. So is every successful person/businessman/fashiongurus/streetstylebloggers out there. If only someone taught me the Theory of Hard Work earlier... My life would be harder, but it would be better.

Anyway, back to the title, the Theory of Hard Work. You do know that you have to work hard to get what you want, right? Yeah I've heard it too. I was just not ready to execute it, instead I chose to "just live the moment" and lived my ordinary mundane life. This is shit I tell you. That's a reason for people to not think about their future, their dreams, and what they truly want in life. I know I'm nobody, and I'm not trying to preach you about how you should live your life, I'm simply sharing the cold hard truth that struck me, and hope that you will not feel the same way as I did before.

I read in a book called "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell about the Rule of 10,000 Hours. It's stated that in order to achieve world class expertise, you have to practice your skills for 10,000 hours in your area of interest. That's why people say that success takes patience and consistency, you HAVE to consistently sharpen your blades, no matter what kind of shit happens in your life. No matter what.

So here I am, taking engineering because I was too afraid to go after my real dream, while my best friend right now is in France taking fashion design only armed with her guts (and skills of course). I've always thought that "Nah, I'm not good enough to take it", or "That path will lead me nowhere in real life", or "There are soooo many people who are waaaay better than me, I'll definitely lose". Again, I was kind of a shit back then, and now I regret it. Yay!

Have faith in yourself, do what truly interests you, there's a quote in my language that roughly translates to "We create happiness, not them". You know what I mean.




-The Dilly Chic-

No comments:

Post a Comment